[DeTomaso] Any interest in dual (no booster) brake MCconversion?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 13:38:52 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/1/12 23 41 18, will.kooiman at gmail.com writes:

> I don't agree with what you said about an inline cylinder.  The rear
> piston
> doesn't push the front cylinder.  It is one long shaft with two sets of
> sealing rings (square o-rings?). The pedal is pushing both o-rings.

No, a tandem (inline) M/C has two pistons, usually (always?) with a spring
in between them.   Pressure from the rear piston displaces the front piston.
  Among other things, that's why the front brake circuit is always plumbed
into the rear chamber of a tandem M/C, as it sees the buildup of line
pressure first, although eventually pressure will equalize.

Some master cylinders supposedly have a stepped bore, with a different size
in the front and rear portions.   This alters line pressure between the two
circuits.

The stock Pantera pressure reduction valve works in the same fashion,
although it's a third piston that is outside of the master cylinder.   Rather
than having a stepped bore, they just chose to have the primary side of the
stock M/C function solely to activate the pressure reduction valve, which then
actuated the front brakes.