[DeTomaso] Autograph Locations??

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 2 00:45:23 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/1/12 11 29 23, guido_detomaso at prodigy.net writes:

> Jeez, that's harsh.
>
>>>Nah, it's just more sad than anything else....
>
> >Out of curiousity, who are these guys / what is their Pantera connection:
>
> >    4. G. Bertocchi (too late)
>
>>>He was Maserati's (and De Tomaso's) chief development engineer and test
driver; he was killed riding as a passenger on a test drive with a customer.

> >>    5. Clay Regazzoni
>
>>>Swiss-Italian nown primarily as a Ferrari driver, he drove in F-1 for 10
years.   He was also the 'works' De Tomaso driver in the Gr4 Pantera,
although his various official bios barely mention that part of his career.   He
was involved in a huge crash which left him paralyzed, but he managed to come
back and race again, using hand controls.   He was an ace in the World
Touring Car Championship, among other series.   He died a few years ago.

> >>    6. Mike Parkes
>
>>>Famed English racing driver, he was a brilliant, self-taught and
intuitive engineer.   After working as an engineer in the UK auto industry, he
started racing and soon was a Ferrari team driver; in the early 1970s he pretty
much developed the Gr4 race Pantera and the De Tomaso 505 F1 car.   He moved
to Lancia in 1974.   He was killed in a road crash just outside Turin,
driving a Lancia Beta HPE.   He hit a pool of water in a curve, aquaplaned
across the road and hit a big truck head-on, which kiled him instantly.

> >    7. Piers Courage
>
>>>He was the driver for the Williams/De Tomaso F1 team in 1970; he died in
a crash at Zandvoort which pretty much finished the De Tomaso F1 program.

> >    8. Brian Redman

> know?
>
> >FWIW Santiago signed my Pantera owners manual, opposite his Dad's printed
> signature, which I think is cool.
>
> Phil Hill signed my Dino owners manual "From one Dino driver to another",
> which
> is really cool.  Heard recently he died.
>
>>>Yes, he raced up until the end; he had Parkinson's Disease but still
managed to race.   I saw him at the Monterey Historics in 2008, where he was
running an Alfa Romeo and pitted right next to my friend Andy Prill (Porsche
356).   He didn't look well, and after the race weekend he went into the
hospital and died a few days later.   So it's been awhile now.