[DeTomaso] heater/AC blower design?  (also the fresh air vent)

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Thu Sep 29 12:11:49 EDT 2011

>>>I shot some detailed photos of #1256 when it was apart, which
>>>clearly shows the mechanics of the fresh air induction system.   I think it
>>>works very well.

It does work, but, when the blower is turned on and the fresh air vent is open, a portion of the fan
forced air is pushed outside through the cowl vents.  This is due to the fact that the fresh air inlet to
the air box is on the same side of the heater/evap coils as the blower (i.e.  they share the same
air plenum).  Closing the fresh air vents "corrects" this problem, but the design does not allow
fresh air to be mixed with cabin air.

On a side note, Matt's #1296 air box does not have the "field fix" applied to it.  The "field fix" was
a modification that was done to direct air to the cabin footwells.  The air comes from the "downstream"
side of the heater/evap coils.  This mod required another control cable, which was located on the
upper right side of the center console, above the radio.  There was a placard riveted to the console,
below the control cable's knob.  The placard was labeled "PULL FOR FLOOR".

John