[DeTomaso] Gas Tank Build

B. Seib oldwheel at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 27 18:07:05 EDT 2011

METHANOL is very corrosive to carbs and aluminum. If you run methanol, you
must flush the fuel system with straight gasoline after each event or it
will destroy the parts quickly in storage. Ethanol is very different and not
nearly as bad as methanol, but there are concerns about storage, especially
in two stroke engines. Either one can affect rubber and plastic parts that
were not designed to withstand alcohol. Ethanol will also loosen many tank
sealers and coatings. Check the specs on what you use before you do it if
you might use ethanol blends.

In fact, most of the damage blamed on gasohol could be related to sulfur and
other impurities in the gasoline, which can be very bad if left in storage
for long periods of time. This happened long before gas had ethanol in it.
Fuel stabilizer is good insurance against this in any device that sits
unused for long periods of time.

The worst threat from ethanol is fiberglass tanks. It WILL melt them over a
long period of time. Motorcyclists beware.

Barry

----
Tomas Gunnarsson guson at home.se
Tue Sep 27 13:56:55 CDT 2011

Danzka brand vodka is sold in aluminum bottles. I'd be surprised if the
ethanol does a whole lot to the bottle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danzka

Tomas