[DeTomaso] Silver State fatalities

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Fri Sep 23 02:33:45 EDT 2011

Wow, I just saw this story.
I think I remember Merle. The Hill family of Ely has been deeply involved with the SS for over a decade.
I also remember that Camaro. It was one of the fastest cars in the event the past few years.
This just goes to show how dangerous high-speed driving can be, even on a closed highway with full safety gear.
As Junior Wilson has pointed out, the drop-off on the side of the road combined with the soft desert soil can lead to nasty end over end rolls.
And there can always be some debris in the road, falling off a previous racer for example.
The other challenge is the distance between observation posts and emergency personnel, over the ninety miles.
When you're running 200 mph in a street car, tires and equipment are obviously being pushed to the max.
If you are going to run, and hopefully you still will, take the tech requirements seriously and make sure your car is tight.

Dan

Dan Courtney
22 Years of Excellent Representation
Excalibur Commercial Real Estate Services
La Jolla, CA
(858) 551-5455 P
(858) 551-5456 F