[DeTomaso] wipers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 21 14:00:08 EDT 2011

In a message dated 9/21/11 10 36 31, pantera874 at t-online.de writes:

> It's not possible. Totally different constructed switches.

To clarify--the current-production wiper switches run the wipers just fine;
the only difference is their appearance, and the fact that they don't have
any illumination.   In that sense, their construction is different.

But, do you really need illumination to operate your wipers?   I say no.

It's unfortunate that for whatever reason, The Powers That Be have chosen
not to remanufacture the L-model-style rocker wiper and washer switches; the
only ones available for many years have been the later style, that just have
the symbols on them.

I don't know if it would be possible to transfer the face of an old switch
over to the body of a new one, but I don't see why not?   The rocker and
'chrome' portion of the switch is separate and distinct from the electrical
portion of the switch, and they snap together.   The thing is, I don't know how
you could separate the two halves without breaking the half you're trying
to salvage.   Nor do I know if the current-production switches feature this
two-part construction.

Take a look at how the illumination feature works:

The top of the switch has a hole in it, about 3/8 inch in diameter, which
is covered with green translucent plastic.   A stamped sheetmetal bulb holder
slides onto two pins molded into the back side of the chrome housing, and
holds a bare bulb; when the interior lights are turned on, this bulb shines
through the hole and illuminates the word on the face of the switch.

Pretty basic.