[DeTomaso]   Famous Pantera 2000 RPM exhaust resonance

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Sep 20 13:47:49 EDT 2011

I once ran across a reference from a famous car designer who mentioned that
he didn't use mononcocque bodies on upscale cars because 'monococque
construction was prone to resonance effects both from road noise and from the
engines'. Over the years, there have been many "fixes" for this in the Pantera,
including reinsulating the decklid skin to its X-support, exhaust/muffler
changes and adding insulation to various parts of the cabin. Resonance is
easily avoided by not running at the critical rpm- you have 5 gears to choose
from- or by adding a performance exhaust that drowns the resonance out. For
instance, I suspect that Bob Benson or Larry Stock have no such problem on
their street/competition Panteras.
Nothing seems to perfectly cure it in all cars, and I've never heard the
complaint from Mangusta owners- which also were monococques. 'Course the
Mangusta also had much more sound-proofing than the Pantera- which then caused
some of the 'Goose's door-rust problems. Personally, I prefer a little
drumming to rust....After all, this is a way-different market than the Lincoln Town
Car. FWIW- J DeRyke