[DeTomaso] NPC - Enzo crashes into ocean at Targa

Peter Havlik peterhavlik at me.com
Sun Sep 18 16:24:46 EDT 2011

Disclosure: Zahir Rana and his wife Allisun are friends of mine.

Bill:

Zahir is a public figure and so there will always be people ready to speak ill of him. If I were you, I would not listen to rumours started by people who are either self-righteous Safety Nazis or simply just jealous of Zahir's flamboyant lifestyle.

The simple fact is that Zahir is a genuine good guy who loves cars and loves speed. He started out wrenching on Austin Minis for a living and worked his way up. He made his money in retail, and now runs is exotic car dealership more for the sheer love of the cars than anything else. His customers become family. I don't think you could name any other car dealer who goes driving with his customers every other weekend, and counts them as personal friends. I have been on a number of extended runs with Zahir and Allisun, and it is amazing the loyalty and affection shown toward him by the participating drivers, most of whom bought their cars from him. This speaks a lot louder to me than sensation-seeking newspaper hacks, the odd inevitable disgruntled customer, or whoever it is you are getting your bad stories from.

Zahir and Allisun use a lot of their events and shows to raise money for charities they personally believe in. They don't do it for publicity, but because they genuinely care about those less fortunate than themselves.

I suggest you go down to his shop and introduce yourself and get to know the guy first hand. You will get a warm reception. Tell him you own a Pantera. He knows and respects our marque and our vintage cars even though his business is newer Ferraris and Lambos. Herman L. (another GT5 owner who didn't even buy his car from Zahir) and I get invites to all his events.

>From personal experience, I can tell you that Zahir is a decent, principled, caring and warm person. It's unfortunate that he crashed his car, but he was driving it the way it was meant to be driven instead of taking it to the golf club to try to impress his buddies like many owners of these cars do. He will come back from this setback stronger and more determined than ever to live his dream.

- Peter

Message: 7