[DeTomaso] Reno Air Race

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Sat Sep 17 09:13:48 EDT 2011

I've been to the races a couple times. I have really enjoyed them. The
races are like a time capsule back to 1970. So many thinks at the event
are a feeling of a time gone by. The carnival atmosphere, the grand
stands, big banners, walking the pits with 1940's warbirds, hangers people
hangout and party in.

Many in the community have opposed the races as there are always that do.
I took my wife and daughter last year as I figured one day this event may
not exist and I wanted them to experience the Reno Air Races. The Reno Air
Races were a bucket list thing to see no doubt.

I wanted them to see the races before something happened which would cause
them to no longer be as they were. It was inevitable something would. As
the airplanes turn to the front stretch there is no safety net should
something go wrong. I always thought it was a matter of time; very
unfortunate. I would really be surprised if these races continue in the
same venue. Events like this can happen where the pilots get killed but
not where spectators do and it is understandable; just unfortunate.

The airplane lost a control tab which looks like it cause the airplane to
pull up hard; very hard. It is likely he was unconscious at that point and
it would not really of mattered what his age was; that kind of thing would
have pulled enough g's to knock anyone out.

As the airspeed slowed it came over the top but not as fast. With a slower
airspeed it pulls hard at speed but not so when slow. Going vertical bled
the energy off. As the it came over the top and begin to come down up came
the speed again. The news attributed Jimmy Leeward (the pilot) with
pulling up at the last second to avoid more people. That's nice to think
but likely the sudden increase in airspeed caused the airplane to pitch up
again.

There was no fire because these guys don't carry much fuel. They need the
fuel to complete the race and any extra is added weight.

A number of years ago, Lyle Sheldon in the Bearcat Rare Bear went out for
a heat race. His mechanics had his horizontal stabilizer off for repairs
and installed it upside down. As he took off he knew he had a problem but
the bad effects are proportional with speed. As he ran the heat race at
450mph he had the stick pushed forward with both arms straight as he went
around the pylons. He said if he ever let go of the stick it would have
pushed him unconscious.

There is nothing like the unlimited air races. There is no limitations
engine size, airframe, etc. You can bring a 172 or a C-130 as long as it
is prop driven. These huge warbirds look like mythical creachers going out
for battle and there is nothing like seeing them ran with the throttle
against the firewall down on the deck with only a cushion of air
separating the shadow from the plane. There is nothing like the event at
Reno in modern times with modern events. It is a time capsule. It's an
event where you are likely to walk by some one who ate at Pancho Barns
restaurant, who may have been involved in the Apollo program, test pilot
for some of the most fascinating aircraft built, and they would have been
at home there.

It is very unfortunate and I would be very surprised if it continues as
was which means a page in history may have just turned.

http://www.rc-tech.net/rn/bear2010.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/rn/reno1.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/rn/reno2010.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/rn/reno2010b.jpg