[DeTomaso] Reno Air Race

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 21:29:07 EDT 2011

At present the pilot and 2 spectators are the only "confirmed dead",not to say there aren't more.  Reports are 75 injured, 25 critically.

The plane "Galloping Ghost" P51 Mustang was flying in the final Unlimited Class race, pilot pull up and then nose dived into the reserved seating area in front of the grandstand bleachers. There is video on YouTube for the morbidly inquisitive.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNePeKn3Tg

Air Races are cancelled for the rest of the weekend, I usually go on Saturday.

It's a sad day, the 19 previous deaths in 44 years were all pilots and usually the flying goes on the next day. When the spectators and fans are caught up in it is a tragedy.
Julian