[DeTomaso] Another Registry Milestone

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 14 20:20:56 EDT 2011

In a message dated 9/14/11 17 14 20, cengles at cox.net writes:

>                 Well deserved congratulations on this significant
> milestone.
> Egad, I have opined that there were no more than about 3,000 Panteras that
> had not turned into rust or scrap and I appear to be wrong.
>
>>>Well, don't forget that the registry incorporates all De Tomaso cars, so
4000 entries doesn't mean 4000 Panteras.   But the number of Mangustas,
Longchamps etc. is very small so we're still getting pretty close to 4000
Panteras.

The sad thing is, there are still lots and lots of Panteras that are
rotting away in garages or barns, neglected and unknown.   And there are others
that are on the road, but their owners are sort of anti-social, and thus don't
belong to any clubs, forums, and certainly don't participate in the
registry.   So as significant as the 4000 number is, I would hazard a guess that it
represents far less than 80% of the total number of cars that are still
surviving.   That's just a guess of course, but just in the past few weeks I
have learned of two barn-find Panteras that have been rotting away in garages
(one in northern California, one down south) for more than 20 years.

They're out there....

> >  Well done,
> sir.
>
>>>Indeed!   It's an often thankless job, but everyone who owns a De Tomaso
car of any kind should be grateful that there is somebody willing to devote
the time and energy to document them thusly.