[DeTomaso] What size are the starter bolts

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 14 09:12:06 EDT 2011

In a message dated 9/14/11 5 47 15, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> I have one of the high torque mini-starters that has the upper bolt hole
> too
> close to the body.  What are the starter bolt dimensions?  I'd like to get
> pair of ARP bolts that take a smaller socket size so I can get the socket
> on
> there.

That won't work--nobody makes small-head bolts in that size.   Besides,
bolts shouldn't be used in that application.   Use STUDS.

The studs are M10 x 1.5; the stock studs are too short to be used with
aftermarket starters, but replacements are available at any good Ace hardware
store for about $3.50 each.   That size normally uses a nut with a 17mm head,
but I was able to find flanged, serrated nuts with a 15mm head at
McMaster-Carr.   Might as well just go to their website and order everything from
them.

http://www.mcmaster.com

94920A600 is the part number for the nuts, they are $5.71 for a package of
10.   You can use the leftovers on your muffler hangars if you want. :>)

91059A561 is the part number for the studs; the catalog says:

Studs are threaded for a nut on one end and threaded (with self-locking
friction-fit threads) for insertion into a threaded hole on the other. Also
known as milled and tap-end studs, they have a Class 5 thread fit on the tap
end (metric have Class SK6) and a Class 2A thread fit on the nut end (metric
have Class 6g). Matching hex nuts are also available.
Metric plain steel studs are made from Class 8.8 medium-strength steel.
They have a minimum Rockwell hardness of C22 and tensile strength of 116,000
psi.

The studs come in four different lengths; the one listed above is the
appropriate length for the Pantera application, with 12mm of threads inserted
into the bellhousing, 24mm extending for use with the nut, and an overall
length of 52mm.   They are $2.24 each.

Bill--please add this info to the database if it's not already there.
Thanks!