[DeTomaso] NPC: The F-car

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 08:33:47 EDT 2011

Yes.  Nobody ever asks to hear a Ferrari start up or urges the owner to spin
the tires when leaving an event.
I owned a Dino once ( not a REAL Ferrari to some) and attended a few events,
the conversations weren't about cars or even women....more like Golf, who
had the biggest house and the stock market.  there's a time and place for
everything, being surrounded by a Lusso, Daytonas, a real GTO, a 512 BB and
at the time, a new as seen on TV Testa Rossa IMHO wasn't the time to talk
about strip centers unless it was the other kind, the only subject more
worthy of conversation than the cars present.
None of those guys worked on their cars and with one exception, knew how to
properly drive them either, they were just props for nerds who wanted to be
cool and the cars went with their Robb Report / Town & Country editorial
lifestyle model.  Fitting in that it matched their obnoxious children in
matching outfits and their equine faced, riding britches wearing wives who
have never mounted anything more than the Dentist next door.

Michael
On Sep 11, 2011 6:44 AM, "Mikael" <mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk> wrote:
> Admitted, I once was close to buying a 365 GTC/4. But today I'm glad I
don't own that brand. Was at car show yesterday, 4 Panteras, 5 Ferraris
right opposite. Of course most people around the F-cars. But listening to
the stupidity of the questions, the know-it-alls, the envious people and the
many many wannabees, I was happy I was in the other camp. "What's the fuel
mileage, ha ha?" was heard multiple times.

> Around the Panteras (and Maseratis and classic Fiats and Alfas) the proper
enthusiasts were plentiful. Around the F-cars there wasn't room for them
because of the wannabees. If I owned an F-car, I would never park anywhere!

> Anybody else has the same experience? Ferrari, great traditions, some
great cars, ridiculous running costs and unbearable fans :-)