[DeTomaso] Didn't Mike Drew drive this car?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Sep 10 10:19:32 EDT 2011

In a message dated 9/9/11 18 58 25, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> Wow, with something like only 38 built and 2 in the US I was aware of that
> is a huge loss to De Tomaso history.
>
>>>And, sadly, not an uncommon one.   Due to some sort of design flaw,
apparently they have an unfortunate habit of self-immolation.   I know of at
least two others that caught fire in the engine bay and burned like this one
did.   Apparently De Tomaso used some sort of substandard fuel lines or
connections, and at some point they let go, spray fuel all over the exhaust, and
FOOM!

> >I actually like the Guara, but confess don't know taht much about them.
> Are they all fiberglass?
>
>>>The body is formed from a sophisticated composite--not pure carbon
fiber, but rather a blend of some sort.   It's not straight fiberglass.   As for
the chassis, when I test-drove them at the factory, I wrote:

The heart of the Guara is its unique
central spine, a sophisticated trapezoidal-
shaped extrusion of aluminum and
composite honeycomb, whose hollow
center doubles as the car’s 21-gallon
fuel tank. A lightweight alloy subframe
bolts to the front to support the front
suspension and cooling system, while
an elaborate forged aluminum casting
bolts to the rear and supports the engine
and gearbox. Another large ribbed
casting between the engine and
transaxle forms the bellhousing and also
provides the anchor points for the rear
suspension.

> >The damage looks mostly cosmetic, wonder if any molds or parts exist?
> It's somewhat tempting at the right price.
>
>>>Run away.   Screaming!

FWIW the one in England which was burned just like this, and sold in very
similar condition, was purchased from a junkyard for 2000 GP pounds, I
believe.   It has since traded hands at least a couple of times because it's not
cost-effective to repair, as the needed parts, while available, are
prohibitively expensive. :<(