[DeTomaso] Window Channel...

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Oct 27 01:05:37 EDT 2011

In a message dated 10/26/11 21 19 17, detomasoregistry at gmail.com writes:

> This is an eye opener, login to the Registry to see this.
> (Thanks go to Michel in Canada for these pics.)
>
> I wonder if this is Tsunami-related damage, radiation damage or what just
> due to
> the coastal environment of Japan.
>
> http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/RegistryImages/RTHPNMT05098/RTHPNMT
> 05098.asp

That's a bit extreme, but it's not at all unusual.   I would say the
overwhelming majority of original, non-restored Panteras have a lesser degree of
rust in the windshield channel.   That's why changing a windshield is a
non-trivial exercise most of the time.   When you bust your windshield, normally
it's a simple job for a glass shop to pop the old one out and the new one
in.   I maintain that you should be prepared to find some, perhaps significant
amounts of rust in the channel when you pull the glass out, especially if
you live in a climate where the windshield gets wet.

If you drive with your wipers turned on, you're probably well along the way
to having this kind of issue.   That means that a windshield change turns
into a major epic, as the dash needs to be removed, then the rusty metal cut
out, new metal fabricated from scratch and welded in, then thoroughly
rust-protected before the new glass can go in.

My car was rusty when I bought it; the windshield channel was pretty well
shot most of the way around.   I just looked through my 200+ restoration
photos looking for a good 'before' photo, but I don't have any.

Here's another sad truth--the channel around the rear quarter windows also
rusts.   There is supposed to be a drain hole at the bottom of that channel,
but it often plugs up and then water collects there and rusts it away....