[DeTomaso] SOBill Award

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Mon Oct 24 20:53:23 EDT 2011

Some years ago, I purchased my Pantera ( a miracle in itself).  After a year of chasing a corrected title (check than VIN closely) finally the day had come to take the car out of the VIN and safety inspection.  The only problem was . . . my turn signals (unknown to me, and scary as hell) didn't work properly.

A cry for help and then a private email from someone named Bill.  He explained it was my 4 way flasher switch, no they aren't available from anyone. (Think about it: a large investment and its now just a lump in the garage).  Bill says he'd like to look at it, please package and mail. In less than a week it was back, with intructions on correct hookup (not at all like it was hooked up before). And FIXED.

Short story, a man and his wife track me down at the track day in Vegas.  The man introduced himself and asked if all was well, did the switch work perfectly?  I told Mrs. Bill that my car would have never been licensed and on the road with out his help, she replied: "That why we call him Sweet Old Bill."

I am sure there are countless other stories about SOBill.  He should be everyone's hero.

This is quite humbling, I feel I would have to climb two stepladders to give old Bill a kiss. For every moment of Pantera joy, I send Sweet Old Bill a kiss!
http://images108.fotki.com/v191/photos/4/43175/1969865/award-vi.jpg

The difference here: I would help someone that asked for a hand, Bill would be there and have it fixed without hesitation.

There might be a few who deserve an honor like this more than I do (I'll be forwarding ideas today), but I sure will treasure this, forever!

Here's to SOBill, a fine hero.

David in Durango