[DeTomaso] Front wheel bearings for a '71

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Oct 21 09:33:54 EDT 2011

In a message dated 10/21/11 6 23 31, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> One of my front wheel bearings is talking trash to me. Is there a
> cross-over
> part number that I can get locally or do I have to go to the vendors?

Rob,

The Pantera uses exactly the same front wheel bearings as virtually every
Ford product made from WWII   (or even before!) through the 1970s at least.
So the bearings are available everywhere.   The front seals are unique, but
are also readily available.

I think the SKF numbers for the bearings are BR2 and BR6.   Let me check
the gearhead database.   Ah yes:

Front Wheel Bearings: Chicago Rawhide (SKF) Inner: BR6     Outer: BR2
Seal SKF: 17387

Do you not have this database file that Bill Taylor has worked so hard on?
 It contains something like 9000+ facts and sources for the Pantera, easily
searchable.   You just type in 'bearing' in the search box, and the answer
comes up instantly.

Bill has done us all a terrific service here, and that's why when I learn
something new (like part numbers for the front main seal, or overflow bottle
cap most recently), I always send the info to him for him to incorporate in
his next edition.

Mika Dailey hosts the database on his website, here:

http://www.panteraplace.com/Electrical/Pantera%20Information.xls

Enter that link and the Excel file will download to your hard drive.
Anybody who doesn't have this needs to get it pronto!

Cheers!