[DeTomaso] One-owner cars

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:52:11 EDT 2011

and a fully loaded Lincoln Continental sitting next to the Pantera was about
8K.

and when Grandpa and Grandma went into the dealership, they looked at each
other and said ' What the $#@*!"

Selling these through LM dealerships instead of Ford ( who had salespeople
used to selling Shelbys, Cobras, HiPo Mustangs, etc.)

was perhaps the leading reason that sales were no more than they were, they
simply did not know how to sell them and attracted the wrong demographic

into the showrooms.

Remember this was before Luxury automakers had any kind of sporting image to
the masses, a MB was a luxobarge,
a BMW was a quirky little European car with a sparse dealer network and
a Bavaria as a centerpiece.
Back then, an Eldorado was a sports model, all 21 feet of it.

But I'm not so sad over it, my 71 is one of slightly over 950 imported that
year, probably 1 of 500 that survive.

Better to stand out than go to a party and see somebody wearing the same
suit/dress as the case may be.

Michael Shortt