[DeTomaso] gumball pantera purging air from cooling system

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 16 14:52:56 EDT 2011

I agree.

Your problem is almost definitely related to the fans.  You may have other
problems, but if it cools at speed and not under 35mph, then your fans
simply aren't moving enough air.

They shouldn't be on 100% of the time.  Once you get to 35mph or so, they
don't do anything.

It sounds like your fans are new.  Are they wired with relays?  If they are
simply plugged into the stock wiring, they're not turning as fast as they
should.

BTW, you should be able to bleed the air from the top petcock in the
radiator.  When you park and the car is hot, open the petcock until water
comes out.  Close it and let it cool.  Keep repeating until water comes out
immediately.  Be careful, you can burn yourself if you open it too fast.

For what it's worth, my car had sucker SPAL fans, but they were mounted as
pushers and wired backward.  They turned the correct direction when wired
backward, but the blades are curved so they didn't move very much air.  I
remounted them as suckers and it made a huge difference in airflow.

Another thing that's interesting is I drove in Houston for 3-4 years with
non-functioning fans.  I didn't realize they weren't working until I got
stuck in really bad traffic in the middle of the summer - and it overheated.
I corrected the wiring and said, "What's that noise?"  I think my ju-ju was
I always left work in the morning and hit the interstate in 2-3 miles.  I
rarely spent any time under 35mph.