[DeTomaso] Holley 650 problem

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Sat Oct 15 07:26:56 EDT 2011

Boyd, a common problem with Holleys

1. Unscrew the needle/seat. Do it like this, and you might not have to
adjust float level, I would still do it though, could be part of the
problem. Loosen the screw 1/8 round max, use a 5/8" to unscrew it
completely. No need to take off fuel bowl or remove carb from engine. Clean
with air. Screw back in, note that gasket between bowl and needle/seat must
be there
2. Adjusting fuel flow in Holleys is not only about jets, that's actually
the last step after float level, idle mixture and power valve are adjusted.
If you're interested, look at my site www.tuningmadeeasy.com
3. If you decide on a new carb, get a Summit 600 vacuum. They have better
throttle response than a Holley, even a double pumper, and they are designed
so you can change jets without spilling fuel all over your engine

Paste from my site:
Float level: "On Holleys this adjustment is very easy as it can be done
without dismantling. With the engine idling take out the sight plug on the
side of the fuel bowl. Be ready with a rag to catch the fuel that might run
out if the float level is too high. With the sight plug removed, use a big
screwdriver and a 5/8"/16mm wrench to adjust (the screw should just be
loosened, adjustment is done on the nut). Adjust so that fuel is up to the
level of the sight plug hole and just slowly trickles out. Note that if the
level is too high and you adjust down, you have to wait until the fuel is
consumed or trickled out, which can be an issue especially on the secondary
fuel bowl. Also note that if you adjust down too low the nut loses its grip
on the float bolt and when you try to get it back up it won't work. In that
situation, stop the engine, take off the screw and nut entirely and screw
the float bolt up with your fingers. You may need a new gasket after doing
this."
Mikael