[DeTomaso] Holley 650 problem

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 14 22:30:12 EDT 2011

Most likely you had a small piece of debris in the needle/seat.

Normally when this happens the debris prevents the needle from seating, so
gas continues to fill the fuel bowl and it has to go somewhere.  That
somewhere is through the jets and out the boosters - or out the vent tube.

It has happened to me several times.  I normally remove the needle seat,
check it for debris, and reinsert it.  It's probably better to take the fuel
bowl off and clean it out, but I've never done that, and it has always
worked fine.

To remove the needle/seat, you just unscrew it all the way, be careful, take
a look to see if it is clean.  If it is, screw it back in.  If it isn't, you
can either clean it out and screw it back in, or you can replace it.

If you are lucky, when you screw it back in, you do not need to readjust
your float.  I've done this before by using only the 9/16 (or is it 5/8?)
nut.  Do not loosen the common screw driver screw.  If you unscrew the
common screw, you are changing the float adjustment.  It sounds weird, but
that's the way it works.  At any rate, just unscrew the big nut, remove the
needle seat, clean it out, and put it back.

If the needle/seat is cruddy, replace it.  If it is nice and clean, reuse
it.

My 50cents.  (2cents 25 times)