[DeTomaso] stored-for-30-years Pantera advice, needed

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 11 23:31:45 EDT 2011

Don't sell it.  Bring it back to life.  The only thing better than a Pantera is a Pantera that has a history.

1.  Remove the ZF and send it to someone that knows what they're doing - Lloyd Butfoy and Dennis Quella are the only two that I know.  Okay, John Taphorn has taken his apart, but he's not in the ZF rebuilding business.  I'm sure there are several others that offer a ZF rebuilding service.

At any rate, since your car has sat that long, it has likely rusted the shafts and gears inside the ZF.  You want someone to give it a good once-over, and while they are at it, have them replace all of the rubber parts, plus safety wire the ring gear.  They know all of that.  Tell them the history and give them about $3K - yes that much - and you will get a nearly new ZF back.

2.  Remove the engine and give it a good rebuild - double roller chain, forged pistons if you can afford it, check the bores for wear, etc.  Change the cam to something simple.  Don't go nuts.  Just hit the basics, and don't send it to a Chevy guy.  All you need is for the 351C to be refreshed, and you'll love it.  It should run around $3K.

3.  Install a Pantera oil pan - 8qt with baffles.  All the vendors have them - about $450.

4.  Install a removable crossmember under the oil pan.  It's easy while the engine is out.  It is maybe $50.  It allows you to remove the pan with the engine in the car.

5.  While the engine is out, remove the gas tank and have it checked.  They tend to rust on the inside, and even if it isn't rusted you probably have gunk on the inside.  Either repair or replace for about $900?.  Hall Pantera has a nice stainless tank, and I bet the other vendors do too.

6.  Replace the water pipes with stainless pipes.  I think Marino Perna makes these, but all the vendors have 'em.  I don't remember what they cost, but it's a must-do.

7.  Check the swirl tank and expansion tanks for rust.  If they are questionable, replace them.

8.  Make sure you replace the wheel bearings. The seals on the rears dry up, and the bearings fail quickly.  This is cheap - maybe $100 plus time on a press. The fronts are from a 69 Mustang - cheap and easy.

9.  Change all hoses, especially fuel and brake hoses.  Use braided stainless for brake hoses.

10.  Porterfield brake pads. They work really well.

11.  Change your brake fluid, and rebuild the calipers.  Do this at a tech session.  It is cheap and not difficult, but you don't want to tackle this on your own.

There are a lot of other things to check, but that's all I can think of right now.

Oh - buy some new tires.  If you stay with Campys, you can fit 295-50-15 in the rear, but they look too wide on 8" rims.  They bulge out.  275-60-15 are about right.  If you go with new rims, I really like the Campy clones from Pantera East (Marino Perna).  They look a lot like the Campys, at first I didn't like the bling, but it only took 2 seconds for me to prefer the aluminum over the painted magnesium.

Without knowing for sure what's wrong with the car, I'd say you're probably $10K before the car is dependable and fun.