[DeTomaso] stored-for-30-years Pantera advice, needed

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Tue Oct 11 20:06:48 EDT 2011

Hi John,
Of course you should rejoin POCA! :)  No worries, though, you'll still get great advice even though you're out of the fold...
There are a number of friendly Pantera experts in your area, so I'm sending this out to the entire forum so you can first get some great general advice, then hopefully someone locally can help you personally.  (Forum members; see John's email below).
In my opinion, sell it and buy a great Pantera that is already sorted, but that's just me...
What say the rest of you on the forum?
Sincerely,
Chris KimballPresident, PNW Northwest

01 - Name = John Yett02 - Email Address = yett2000 at yahoo.com03 - Phone Number (optional) = 503-708-589604 - Your Message = Hello Panteras Northwest, My name is John Yett from Portland, Oregon and I would like info on how or where to get a '72 pantera back into working order. This was my dad's toy until I was born and he had it stashed in a storage unit. It has been in that unit for 30 years. I am not a mechanic so I would have to get acquainted with a knowledgeable shop or mechanic. I assume that after this amount of time sitting in storage the car is going to have to be overhauled to some degree. I remember my dad saying that he was going to swap out the engine and that the transmission needs to be repaired. The car has not been on blocks and has been sitting on the rims since the air has long since leaked out of the tires. Of course before I get really serious about going ahead with this project I'll need to know what it is going to cost me. I wouldn't be racing around like my dad was doing so hopefully whatever repairs are needed will hold up longer. I used to be a POCA member but decided to let my membership lapse. I hope this isn't an issue in getting some good advice and guidance. Thanks, John Portland, OR