[DeTomaso] Master cyl to booster rod adjustment

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Tue Oct 11 08:56:12 EDT 2011

Never having to replace a booster before, this required some reading in
Pantera Technical information. Still don't understand it. On page 12-01-03
the adjustment is mentioned twice, left column and right column. In the left
it's 0.028-0.035", in the left column it's 1/32-3/64=0.031-0.047". Close,
but not the same?

Second thing I don't understand is the following: Is that measurement
supposed to be
a. free space between rod and back of master piston when assembled?
b. free space between booster and master flanges when master is held by hand
close to booster, meaning the master piston will be preloaded by that
measurement when  nuts attaching master to booster are tightened?

If it is a., then how do I measure that, I can't measure when assembled? Do
I have to measure rod sticking out, hole depth in master and do the math?
If it is b., that would explain this: I'm installing a new original
Pantera/Ford master/booster that's exactly like my old ones, out of a box,
never used, and I would guess never disassembled. When I took them apart, it
was clear that the rod was longer than the cavity so to speak, so the piston
in the master is preloaded when the two are tightened together. So unless
Ford did it wrong, b. is correct

However Fig 3 on 12-01-04 suggest that a. is correct.

???

Mikael