[DeTomaso] Charging System Problem FIXED

J. Sean Keane jskeane6 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 13:42:34 EDT 2011

I finally figured out why my charging system wasn't working properly. A
little while back, my Pantera started overheating. It had an
after-market radiator, but it was old and wasn't working well any more.
I had a local shop replace the radiator with one from Ron Davis Racing.
They also replaced the fans with newer, better units.

Those fans apparently draw a lot more current than the old ones. I
almost always have the AC on, which causes a significant current drop on
the ammeter (I couldn't figure out why at first, then it hit me: the AC
condenser fan). The bottom line is that the 60-amp alternator (the more
powerful of the two that are easily available) couldn't cope with the load.

I had a local specialty shop rebuild the alternator to a 95-amp model
for about $85, and that has cured the problem. Now, when I rev the
engine up with the radiator fans and AC going, the ammeter actually goes
into positive charging territory instead of barely getting above zero.
I've driven it a fair bit this last week, and it hasn't stranded me
anywhere or hesitated when starting. This is new behavior, at least
since I had the radiator work. Problem solved!

Regards,

Sean