[DeTomaso] EFI

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Fri Oct 7 11:42:49 EDT 2011

"If you pick the wrong control approach for your engine, all the tuning
in the world won't
make it work properly."

Absolutley true, imo.  Also I truly believe and LIVE by the "resources available" laws.

I know that I could not dx/fx (diagnose and fix) the EFI in my V8 powered miata.  Of course, all hardware (connectors and sensors) were 20+ years old, not to mention the "craft" involved when the PO (previous owner) merged the two wiring harnesses.  No one that solders like that should be issued testicles. EVER.

Anyway, back to my rant . . .  I live in a town where I could not get rubber parts to rebuild a 3/4 inch clutch master - these fornicating parts monkeys (fpm) need to know the application.  OK, its a 91 Mazda Miata with a 90ish Mustang running gear and a Wilwood clutch master - that fpm had a blank look on his face.  So, while there may be someone in a hundred miles that can dx/fx a carb problem . . .  I can't afford him and can't find him.

Once EFI comes into the picture, I may be lost (hahahaha) but certainly have no backup.  If I had a Kirby or Mike Trusty expert person available it would be different.  This is basically the advice from Dick in Atlanta - buy the system the local expert knows. No local expert?  Holley.

"I know, but the PITA factor and the cost of screwing around with EFI
> >> versus carbs persuades me to stick with carbs for the near and
> >> intermediate future.
> >>
> >> Yeah. I am a Luddite in this regard."

Make no mistake, once you've heard a properly tuned Ford w/ efi and 180 headers
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBKze32-Vi0 ) there is no question.  Its just that I can't get there from here.

David in Durango, memeber of the OKC Gentleman's Luddite Club, Rocky Mtn. Division.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6525 (20111007) __________

http://www.eset.com