[DeTomaso] NPC Check Engine Light

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 7 08:58:43 EDT 2011

You might want to check to see if a wire was broken.  A broken wire is more
likely than damage to the sensor.  If it's a wire, you should be able to
repair the wire and reset the code.  If it isn't a wire, I would buy a
replacement sensor and change it myself.  The only hassle is getting under
the car.  Once you're there, it changes just like a spark plug.  There's a
special tool, but I bet you can use a box end wrench.  That's me, though.  I
would gamble $200 or so on a sensor before taking my car to a dealer.

My hybrid battery is still good.  It is degraded, but I knew that.  We have
had it for 6 years, and it has just under 170,000 miles.  The degraded state
means it spends more time charging, which cuts gas mileage a little.  It
used to be easy to get 74mpg on the highway.  Now it averages about 65mpg.
I can replace the battery (reman/recycle) for about $1,000 (not $2400 from a
dealer - which is also remanufactured), but restoring the lost 10mpg isn't
worth $1,000.  BTW... it is a boring car.  It's very cheap and reliable, but
very boring.