[DeTomaso] ZF Back plate

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Oct 6 14:26:08 EDT 2011

In a message dated 10/6/11 10 48 47, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> My thought too, whatever the correct professional fix is (new case?) it
> needs to be part of the insurance estimate & claim.

I had to buy a replacement rear case earlier this year for my GT40 gearbox.
  Several of the vendors had them, with prices ranging from $700 to $1200.
 New was even more.

My gearbox had simply been dropped (apparently) while it was out of the
car.   It landed on the rear corner, opposite from the shifter box.   It did
quite a lot of damage--it broke the protrusion that holds the shifter
cross-shaft, broke the rear case, and bent the shaft just slightly enough to prevent
proper shifting.   The shaft was $400 and the protrusion was about $100, if
my memory serves me.

Don't assume that the damage your gearbox suffered is only external and
cosmetic.   Get it checked out by a professional.