[DeTomaso] EFI

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 10:38:20 EDT 2011

Good suggestions. Sometimes there are really strange things. I am trying to
tune my Pantera and was having difficulties. Turns out my 13 year old MAP
sensor is reading 45kpa when it should be saying 101. And it seems to be
intermittent at that. Makes for difficult tuning.

As a comment though... most systems I know about and have read about are
only closed loop during cruise.
I could be wrong, but they all switch off closed loop during full throttle
and fall back to a map.

These so called 'self learning' systems are all BS as far as I'm concerned.
You have to get close manually before you can go closed loop. There's no way
the system will compensate for something that's completely out in left
field. No way. I don't care what you read in the marketing blah blah blah.

This is the same as a carburetor. You have to pick the right type of carb,
CFM and jetting to get close and then you start tuning for YOUR engine. I
bought a carburetor once that was supposed to work as is. My car would
hardly run.

And remember... when a new EFI system is put on a production car, the car
companies literally have a full team of engineers and technicians who run
the engine on a dyno and then take the cars out to all parts of the country
and run them through tests in all conditions. Altitude, cold, hot, humid,
etc..
Why? To set up the maps and feedback loops so the system works as you would
expect it to when you buy it off the showroom floor.

Ever seen the documentary on the development of the Ford GT? They couldn't
even get the engine to START the first time around!
The 'EFI expert' of Ford ended up using what I think I remember hearing as a
program from a Crown Vic! Just to get it running! Then they started tuning.

So even the experts have to work hard to get a EFI system set up the first
time around.

And we're talking about each an every one of us having a completely
different engine. Different heads, cams, compression, bore, stroke, blah,
blah, blah.... so each and every map and setup will be different.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now... I like my EFI setups and will continue to use
them.

FWIW,
Kirby