[DeTomaso] EFI

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Wed Oct 5 10:06:23 EDT 2011

Suggestions: I was sitting here thinking, can I suggest some remedy for the
lean and severe bogging. Justin, I'm sure you've done all the sensible
things, so I'll give you a few totally weird suggestions, forgive me.
-Some EFI systems work strange if they don't get enough juice (electricity).
Is your alternator fine? Grounding? Are there grounding wires from engine
and gearbox to chassis?
-I once had a car that did the same, but with a carb. It turned out to be a
wire that was neither isolated nor fastened properly, so the g-force made it
short against the engine
I know, weird suggestions.

Some comments, from many angles, from a carb fan:
-Not many people can feel the difference between a properly tuned EFI and a
properly tuned carb
-On non-fuel-economy cars, I'd never do EFI. Why add complexity? Why spend
money?
-All carbs I've had have on an O2 meter shown a little lean when
accelerating, and still have excellent throttle response
-Buying things partly because the company claims to have experts sitting
waiting to take your call is very optimistic. These are slightly trained
call center employees, with targets on number of calls per day. My
experience is that you quite soon know more about their product than they do

Question: Are any of those EFIs closed loop? That's how OEM works, and if it
is, then tuning should be unnecessary

Mikael