[DeTomaso] Starter mounting nuts

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Oct 2 17:20:12 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago, we discussed the difficulties associated with installing a
new starter on a Pantera.   Most aftermarket starters have a thicker
flange, which requires longer studs.   Clearances become tight and it's difficult
to fasten the starter sometimes, as a result.

Various hardware solutions were proposed; as an experiment I ordered two
competing designs.   Here's a photo showing a total of four different nuts,
installed on same-size (longer than stock) studs:

The left one is a conventional M10 x 1.5 nut; it requires a 17mm socket.
This is the size that causes problems for many people.

Next to it is a mechanical locking nut I found in my junk hardware box,
more properly called a Stover nut.   This is a conventional nut which is then
smashed into a slightly oval shape, which causes it to drag on the threads.
It makes it more difficult to install and ensures that it won't fall off.
They can be problematic in an application such as this, because if you try
to remove it, there's a good chance that the stud will back out of the hole
instead.

Next up is a standard flange nut.   The underside of the flange is
serrated, which bites into the material and prevents it from backing out.
Significantly, it uses a 15mm socket instead of the conventional 17mm size, which
can make a big difference if clearances are tight, as they are in our
situation.

Last up is a highly specialized nut made by ARP.   It features a 12-pointed
design, and is much smaller than any of the other nuts.   Using only a 12mm
socket, it allows tons of space all around and would be the easiest to
install.  The caveat is that it requires a 12-point socket to operate.   It also
has no provision for any sort of locking feature, so it would require the
use of a split washer underneath if you really wanted to ensure that it
didn't fall off.

These things cost a fortune to buy individually--they are $8 each!   I
bought a ten-pack to bring the price down.

Now that my curiosity is satisfied, I find myself with a couple of piles of
nuts and no genuine need for them, so I'm going to offer them for sale at
my cost.   The flanged nuts with the 15mm head came from McMaster-Carr, and
cost about $1 each including shipping.   The ARP nuts were $5 each including
shipping.

I have four sets of the ARP nuts and six sets of the flanged nuts
available.   I would send them via the post office, which would keep shipping costs
quite reasonable, probably about a buck or so.

If you're interested, let me know--first come, first served.   I won't be
able to ship for about a week or so, as I'm going to be on the road.

Cheers!