[DeTomaso] The value of smooth shifting....

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Oct 1 03:33:20 EDT 2011

In a message dated 10/1/11 0 10 55, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> Are you sure the A-arm bolt was damaged by the crash and not the cause of
> it?
> Looks like he is braking in a straight line and all of a sudden the car
> takes off to the right.

Listen to the audio, to include the previous lap in the same place.   He
simply blew the downshift, and locked up the rear end.   He might have gone
from 4th to 1st instead of 4th to 3rd.   But even if he selected the right
gear, he's making no attempt to match rpms; he just selects a lower gear, then
lifts up on the clutch pedal, which is just asking for trouble.

While riding with people on the track, I've seen wheel lockup by ham-fisted
Pantera drivers during downshifts, even when they selected the proper gear.
  Just sticking the shift lever into the slot and popping up on the clutch,
without matching engine rpm, dramatically upsets the car and can lead to
wheel lockup.   At a minimum it's very hard on the gearbox.   At a maximum,
it's very hard on the sheetmetal, and the body. :<(