[DeTomaso] NPC: Another Notable Passing

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sun Nov 27 12:10:22 EST 2011

I caught a piece in the bios in the paper this morning that Sergio
Scaglietti passed this last Sunday, he was 91.  With Pininfarina recently,
now Scaglietti, the masters are passing.  His were some of the most
beautiful Ferraris of the late '50's and 60's.

Notables:
Original Scaglietti designs include:
*	1958 250 Testa Rossa
*	1955 Ferrari 410 Sport
*	1955 Ferrari 500 Mondial Series II
*	1954 Ferrari 250 Monza
*	1956 Ferrari 290 MM
*	1956 Ferrari 860 Monza
*	1958 Chevrolet Corvette Scaglietti Coupe
Bodies executed to a third party design:
*	1957 250 California Spyder
*	1962 250 GTO
*	1955 Ferrari 250 GT Tour de France

The prototype 250 Testa Rosa, owned until recently by local Microsoft
$$$$$'aire John Shirley, recently set an auction world record at Monterey
selling for $16.4M.  I saw this car at the 2009 Seattle Italian Concours
d'Elegance.  It was a lousy week for weather, and the day of the show on the
Des Moines pier was soggy as could be.  John is well known in the area for
having his cars driven rather than trailered to local shows from his
warehouse in Bellevue, WA (I had the pleasure of following his '38 Alfa 8C
2800, that won Pebble Beach a couple of years ago, through the early Sunday
morning streets of Seattle to the 2006 Concours, what a sight/sound).  For
the 2009 Concours, he had planned to drive and display the Testa Rosa, but
hearing from abroad that it was to be raining, ordered the car trailered to
the show.  Not to be completely denied the fun of an "entrance", his crew
parked the transporter about a mile away on the south end of the pier, and
drove on to the show site, in the pouring rain, holding an umbrella in one
hand and driving with the other.  The turnout had been pretty light that
day, but everyone who saw the entrance applauded.  It sat the rest of the
day mostly covered by a 12x12 party tent, but it's nose was still very much
in the rain all day.  No plastic bubble powder puff this one . . .

Have a great Sunday!
Mike Thomas
Panteras Northwest