[DeTomaso] more exhaust comments

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 22 18:34:38 EST 2011

1.  regarding my graphite exhaust collectors, one blew out after just a few hours so I replaced it and left the other one.  a while later, it let go also.  i wouldnt be surprised if i did something wrong, but I am all set with that.  cheaper regular gaskets for me
2. The GTS headers I got used were the usual pantera vendor product, dont know exactly what they are, but they came with a 2.5" collector at the end, so hooking up to PI's intermediate 2.5" pipes was easy.  the PI pipes are pricey for what they are, but bending exhaust pipes at home is not easy.  and piecing together from various curves is a real project.  So I spent the money.  the intermediate pipes are way too long as delivered (probably intentional), so you have to cut the ends off.  the pipes are bent with a cheap exhaust bender somewhere, so the bends have significant restrictions in them.  I used a vice to squeeze the pipes strategically, and now they fit really nicely through the halfshafts.  I cant imagine using 2.5" pipes without flattening them a bit.
Car sounds awesome, so I highly recommend.  i used the tiniest flowmaster mufflers, with those Monza ANSA dual resonator tips (about 40 bucks each side through summit or jegs).  And I still had to rotate the mufflers a bit so they are not parallel to ground.   Looks great - vintage italian - sounds pretty much just right.  plenty noisy, so not for the timid.