[DeTomaso] NPC: exotic philosophy rambling

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sun Nov 20 20:41:17 EST 2011

Dear Forum,

            I wanted to share a shortened version of Dan Neil's Wall Street
Journal article that reviewed the new Ferrari 458 Italia Spider.    Dan is a
superb writer and I really enjoy his talented writing.   In this article I
think he nails the issue that gearheads and car guys have with non-car guys
and exotic machinery.   The full article should be available on line in a
week or more via the WSJ website.    For your consideration:

               "News of Ferrari's new $300,000 562-horsepower convertible
might seem a trifle irrelevant to the moment.  Never mind the 1% buyers of
this car are the 0.001%, and some them are pretty unsympathetic characters:
Russian kleptocrats in track suits that match their mobile phones; Brazilian
soccer stars with microwave-size wristwatches.

                And at least a few of the new cliente  have galaxy-class bad
taste.  As I was touring the factory's new "Tailor Made" customization
atelier in Maranello, Italy, I confronted a customer's
electric-lime-and-black 599 GTO, with chartreuse hides and monogrammed seats
destined for the Middle East.  Had you requested such a car from Enzo
Ferrari himself, he would have swatted you with a tire iron and had you
dumped onto the Via Abetone.  Ah , the good old days.

            Ferrari continues to walk the iciest tightrope: It's a legend, a
motorsports mythology, the Camelot of fast cars.  It's also a business, the
most profitable unit for parent company Fiat.  As much as it might like to
require some sort of literacy test from its clients-Who was Phil Hill?
What was the company's first midengine V8 Berlinetta?---the fact is, all you
need is a checkbook.

               Why does it matter?  Because all cars are tribal, and no
tribe is more self-regarding than the Ferraristi .  You may think you're
joining a tribe of noble automotive connoisseurs such as Ralph Lauren and
Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason; but people who see you in your car might
think, "Hey, is that Charlie Sheen?"

              (the 458 Spider) .It all adds up to a supercar with the most
comfortable, accessible and aurally compelling open-air experience on the
market.  I mean, really, short of something Biblical---locusts or a torrent
of frogs or something---why wouldn't you have the top down?  Don't want to
get wet?  Go faster.

               No car delivers the holistic, pilot-focused experience, the
synaptic download that the Ferrari does.  From the seating position and
cockpit ergonomics-the vibratory timbre, position and hand fit of the
steering wheel, for instance-the Italia just speaks to you.

             As Ferrari courts a global audience---and customers who
couldn't drive a nail-there is a risk that the cars could become too soft.
Certainly, the Spider is a very refined car, with a supple and compliant
suspension, a set-and-forget AUTO setting for the seven speed gearbox, and
loads of techno comforts.

              But just turn the manettino dial on the steering wheel up,
from SPORT to RACE.  The magnetic suspension gets leathery, the gear changes
start shoving you in the back, the hateful honk of eight angry cylinders
boils through the firewall, and the computer's protecting angels abandon
you.

               Oh, yeah, right, Ferrari.  I remember these guys."

                           Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles