[DeTomaso] 'Racing' Safety

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Nov 19 14:18:25 EST 2011

Due to my 6'2" height, a typical full cage in a Pantera is uncomfortable to
me; specifically the typical side-bar that runs above the drivers door
opening slams my head even with a helmet on. Possibly, the roof could be removed
and a cage constructed with crossbars a little higher up, then the stock
roof rewelded and the driver's seat relocated towards the console enough to
cure this.... but not on my budget. A welded cage will stiffen up the chassis
and allow better handling, though. I have one friend that commutes with a
6-point roll cage in her ex-Silver State Porsche 928, but she's only 5/4". A
three-point roll bar in a Pantera is almost as good as a cage, as long as you
either never have a passenger (NOT an option for our Pantera!) or actually
install the down-leg bar every time you go out solo. Most owners won't. IMHO
a 2 point roll hoop is not much improvement over the stock chassis hoop
that runs above the headliner.
And as Gary said, driving with a helmet in traffic will cause every cop
within sight to wonder what you're up to- to the point of pulling you over to
ask your intentions. This may cause them to follow you all the time and/or
delay your commute until all the police in your area have you pegged as some
sort of harmless safety nut. On the upside, if it's a full face helmet,
photo-radar wil no longer be able to ID the driver.... FWIW- J Deryke