[DeTomaso] 'Racing' Safety

Art Stephens artstephens at verizon.net
Sat Nov 19 13:17:09 EST 2011

     In my case, I think I was fortunate to be wearing a typical 3 point
seat/shoulder belt. The driver's side of my car was crushed but the
passenger side was not. I think the shoulder strap allowed my upper body to
lay over in the passenger side whereas the 4 point harness would not have. I
think there is a pretty good chance I would have been killed or paralyzed if
I had the four point harness on with no roll bar, which I did not have. So,
no harnesses for me unless I have a roll bar. Oh and by the way, as Jack
said, I came out pretty much unscathed for such a bad accident. I had a
concussion, several broken ribs and a punctured lung. The broken ribs and
punctured lung were no fun! The removal of the chest tube was the worst pain
I ever experienced. On a scale of one to ten, it was about a 14.  :-]]

Art