[DeTomaso] Wilkinson's new GTS mufflers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Nov 19 12:52:22 EST 2011

In a message dated 11/19/11 9 48 14, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> I don't know that I care if it's stainless or not, but I -do- agree I'd
> rather have the headers coated before installation.  If that means they
> need to be mild steel, then that's what I'd need.

The gotcha there is that sometimes headers/tailpipes need a bit of tweaking
(i.e. 'percussive engineering') to fit properly.   That goes for the
factory ANSA stuff too (the left-side header often bumps into the motor mount).
It sucks to coat your headers and then have to bash the hell out of them,
much less heat/bend them to get them to fit.   Much better to get all that
engineering out of the way up front, then coat them.

Having said that, one would hope that in this day and age, it's possible to
fabricate headers and tailpipes that will simply fit the way you want them
to, straight out of the box.   The Wilkinson setup uses a ball-and-cone
style of header connection rather than a simple flat flange, which opens up a
huge range of adjustablity without the need for violence.

Mike.