[DeTomaso] NPC: Racing Safety

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Nov 18 11:51:53 EST 2011

This video, if watched closely enough, illustrates two things.  First,
there are many crashes where the driver was thrown clear and walks
away.  Second, many crashes where the driver was ejected -ahead- of
the rolling car and subsequently -hit- by the rolling car, presumably
killing or seriously injuring them.  My bet is the last crash shown in
the video ended up in a fatality.

I'm sure it's the first that has caused many people to believe they
are safer -not- wearing a seat belt; they'd rather be thrown from the
car than die in a fiery crash.   The trouble is, the odds are against
them.

Another good illustration was the sedan that rolled a few times and
when it stopped, you could see through the windows, the drivers feet
and legs sticking up.  He had been totally turned over inside the car
during the roll.  Being thrown around on the inside without a seat
belt can't be too good either.

I'll take seat belts and roll cages... thank you.

Asa Jay

--
Asa Jay Laughton - sent from somewhere other than home