[DeTomaso] Brake Upgrade

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Nov 12 13:35:02 EST 2011

In a message dated 11/12/11 8 21 4, hoppe1 at cox.net writes:

> I have to say this brake system at high speeds was every bit as good as
> the
> sierra and wilwoods.

Under what conditions?   I fully believe that what you say is true for
normal and even aggressive street driving, and a single panic stop.   But
repeated heavy braking (track work) will overwhelm any braking system that relies
on solid rotors.   Ken stated the facts there extremely accurately and
succinctly, I believe.

Did you have contrary experience?   That is, did you punish your brakes
with maximum-effort stops for extended durations and suffer no degredation of
performance, with your dual-rear-caliper setup?

I've never noticed any brake fade etc. on my Wilwood-equipped Pantera even
after extended track sessions (45 minutes or longer sometimes).   On my
GT350 clone, I did have some issues which were rectified by installing a very
professional cooling ducting system.   It takes ram air from the nose and
routes it through three-inch hose directly to fixtures bolted to the spindles,
which blow half the air onto the inside surface of the rotor, and the other
half into the center of the hat, where it is then radiated outwards through
the cooling vanes.   That completely eliminated anything resembling brake
fade, even under severe punishment.

Cory Gehling (Collector's Choice) sells (or at least sold) a pair of
bolt-on widgets which attached to the inside of the Pantera spindles.   They
weren't set up for hoses; instead, they acted like cupped hands to trap the air
going buy and duct it onto the rotors.   I don't know how well they worked,
if at all, nor do I know if he still sells them.   I contemplated buying them
for myself, but my own experience indicated they weren't necessary, at
least on my car.   Perhaps when I start running slicks, the increased energy
directed at the brakes (made possible by the much greater traction available
under braking) may cause me to revisit that.