[DeTomaso] Brake Upgrade - Opinions?

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 10 23:53:41 EST 2011

> I am very happy with the Wilwood-based package I got from Pantera
> Performance Center.   Significantly, they locate the rotors on the back side of the
> hubs, in the stock fashion.

This is what I have on the GT5, IMO it's a good balance of street vs. occasional track use. I had heard that Dennis' more recent offering has the hats relocated to the outside.

> I have stock Campagnolo wheels, so my rotors are sized accordingly.
> Lately the vendors have been moving towards larger rotors which prevent the use
> of 15-inch wheels.   That's fine if you have larger wheels, but it also
> commits you to them.

This is one challenge with brake upgrades and stock wheels, the vendors seem to be moving toward the assumption that owners are (or should be) upgrading wheels if they are upgrading brakes, either that or it is clever marketing ploy on their part! The Pantera (#5645) I just sold had a Hall Supper Stopper II (Corvette) kit and I have to say it felt great on the street, I never got that car on track though.

> I got my brake setup in 1993, and at the time the only parking brake option
> was to retain the stock rear caliper.   Accordingly, I got narrow .75 inch
> thick rear vented rotors.   If I had it to do all over again, I would opt
> for full-thickness rotors front and rear.

This is the second aspect of a brake upgrade often overlooked, by owners and vendors. #5645 had a line lock handbrake and the GT5 has absolutely nothing, IMO they are about of equal usefulness. Unfortunately I don't know of any Pantera vendor who is offering a kit with a combined rear hydraulic/mechanical caliper that retains a handbrake, not sure why as most caliper manufacturers have such an offering in their product lineup.

Here are some independent parking brake caliper (Spot caliper) options recently discussed on the GT40 forum;

Hi-Spec spot calipers; www.hispecbrake.co.uk/Spot%20.html

Wilwood Spot (Kart) Calipers; www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=spot%20caliper&dds=1

IPSCO generic version; www.ipsco.org/Custom%20Services/Parking%20Brake.htm
IPSCO De Tomaso bolt on; www.ipsco.org/Pantera%20Parts/parkingbrakekit.htm