[DeTomaso] Brake Upgrade - Opinions?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Nov 10 19:30:14 EST 2011

In a message dated 11/10/11 16 20 16, bjbstewart at yahoo.com writes:

> Anyone have a particularly good experience with a vendors' offering?
>  Alternatives that make sense?

I am very happy with the Wilwood-based package I got from Pantera
Performance Center.   Significantly, they locate the rotors on the back side of the
hubs, in the stock fashion.   This is a pain in the ass because it requires
you to break down your hub carriers (press out the axles etc.) to change the
rotors.   Of course, even if you got the other style that slips the rotor
hats over the studs,   you would STILL have to break them down to remove the
old rotors, don't forget!   So it's really not a big deal unless you think
you would be changing rotors on a routine basis--which I guarantee you
wouldn't!

I have stock Campagnolo wheels, so my rotors are sized accordingly.
Lately the vendors have been moving towards larger rotors which prevent the use
of 15-inch wheels.   That's fine if you have larger wheels, but it also
commits you to them.   Strictly speaking, such large rotors aren't necessary.
The limiting factor on stopping power is tire traction, and my
12-inch-diameter rotors with four-piston Wilwood calipers are more than capable of
overwhelming the tires, even after 30-45 minutes of track abuse.   Larger rotors
have greater weight and greater flywheel effect, but they also have greater
torque, so for a given amount of clamping power, you get more braking force.

I got my brake setup in 1993, and at the time the only parking brake option
was to retain the stock rear caliper.   Accordingly, I got narrow .75 inch
thick rear vented rotors.   If I had it to do all over again, I would opt
for full-thickness rotors front and rear.

Yes, Wilwood calipers are lacking the dust seals etc. necessary for DOT
compliance.   Whoop de freaking do.   Mine have been on the car for going on 15
years with no problems; I also have them on the Cobra, same story.

If you are keen to have the best possible brakes, one option would be a
Porsche 911/Brembo-based package.   Several listers have taken it upon
themselves to invent such a system; there has been a lot of engineering and
head-scratching, and even procurement of components (used calipers from Porsche
speciality junkyards, and (I think) new rotors), but precious little on-the-road
data.   I suspect this is because the principals have cars that are
perpetual restoration/modification projects (pot calling the kettle black there!)

If you want to engineer the system with a checkbook, Hall Pantera has ONE
full Brembo brake package left sitting on the shelf.   Brembo and Hall worked
together, and Brembo engineers designed a complete system specifically for
the Pantera, using Ferrari F40 components.   NOT cheap; the complete package
retails for something in the $8000-9000 range.   But think of the bragging
rights that would go along with it!   I've driven a Ferrari F40, and the
brakes are outstanding, with perfect balance, modulation and feel with no power
assist necessary.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.....