[DeTomaso] Windshield

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 9 14:05:50 EST 2011

There are two types of flush-mount windshields. The older version is simply
the same size windshield as normal with a 2"   steel edge welded all the
way around the opening to provide enough surface to glue the old glass in. The
later type glass is larger in width and length so presumably no welding is
needed, but I've not seen such an installation, myself. It's far simpler and
cheaper to remove the stainless trim and leave the flat-black gasket, then
silicone the gasket edges to prevent leaks. Our trim has been on the shelf
since I home-painted the car in '91.
There are several rumored cases of glued-in windshields cracking from body
flex, so unless you've already added vender-type stiffener systems to the
chassis, factor that cost in. Or never drive the car hard.... FWIW- J Deryke