[DeTomaso] Longchamp listed on eBay

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Tue Nov 8 08:28:40 EST 2011

Those bubbles do mean rust of course. And the close ups of the paint show
orange peel etc.

Strange how they rust in different places, I was warned about the back
window and the plate under, but have no rust there at all. But my left
C-pillar was gone and both rear wheel arches. Looking beneath it (VIN 3017)
it's actually well protected. I think that the guy(s) that did the rust
inhibitor spraying hadn't heard about ISO9000, it was a bit random where
they managed to spray, at least in the invisible part, and where they didn't
spray, the car rusted. Philosophical thought: The guy that sealed the car at
the factory, actually sealed the fate of the car...

Heard a story, don't know if it's true. Most early Longchamps rusted around
right rear lamp. This was because the jig at the remote plant was set up
slightly wrong, so when the car was to have its right rear lamp installed,
it wouldn't fit. This was sorted with a hammer, weakening the metal and
puncturing the sealant, so they all rusted there. Don't know, my car has no
rust there.

BTW, if you consider buying this car, do it. Best handling sedan I've driven
(beware that VIN above 3000 drive the best), fantastic sound, fabulous value
for money. Maybe I should buy one more...?

Mikael