[DeTomaso] New 351C book to be released soon

Thomas Tornblom thomas at hax.se
Tue Nov 8 02:41:34 EST 2011

I received my copy last night, and I have read about 1/4 of it so far.

It is historically interesting, although I think I have found a couple
of issues with it.

1) The book says the 351M and 400 blocks were made at WEP2 (Windsor
Engine Plant 2). According to Tom Monroes book "How to Rebuild Ford V8
Engines" the blocks were also cast at MCC, The Michigan Casting Center,
and it was these blocks, with a manufacturing date prior to March 2:nd
1977 that were prone to cracking. These blocks have a "MCC" marking.

2) The book claims the blocks cast at CEP2 (Cleveland Engine Plant 2)
had a "CP" marking, when they in fact they had a "CF" (Cleveland
Foundry) marking.

3) It also claims that the blocks cast in Australia after 1975 has a GF
(Geelong Foundry) marking, although my Australian block, which was cast
March 5:th 1979 (or possibly 1978) has the same CF marking as the US
blocks have. The block has a casting number of D2AE-CA, and date 9C5 (or
possibly 8C5). It is definitiely not a US block as it has the narrow
distributor pilot hole, all the X:s and Y:s in the valley, and the crank
had the distinct australian features.

4) It calls our cars "De Tamaso" :(

Thomas