[DeTomaso] cold air options

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Fri Nov 4 13:07:33 EDT 2011

"Jack,

For a long time I thought about using a Vortech or Paxton carburetor
enclosure.  It sounds like what you're doing, except that you are making it
vs. buying it.

When I went with Webers, that idea went out the window.

Will."

After measuring underhood temps on the V8Miata at 180+ (that's hot) I got busy and worked on some stuff.

I use the Spectre air filter housing kit from Summit - yes it could be installed more neatly.
http://images51.fotki.com/v303/photos/4/43175/2265758/af3-vi.jpg  I use a drop baseplate and 2" K&N - gives more hood clearance than the FI system from the factory.

turkey pans
http://www.mastertouch327.com/2.html

http://www.cobranda.com/cotparamairb.html

Crites
http://www.critesperformanceparts.com/  click 62-65 Fairlane

http://images39.fotki.com/v1224/photos/4/43175/2265758/award003-vi.jpg  here you can see the offset.  This needs 6" clearance in front of choke horn - Pantera measures 9"?

JB sort of invited me (I hope) to copy his naca duct cold air that uses the Spectre air filter on my Pantera.  I think the elephant ears create way  tooo much drag.

As Jack stated, I think a turkey pan can be homemade for less than the storebought "cobra" pans.

Some ideas . . . .

David