[DeTomaso] Speedo bulbs - if you have the stock bulbs, you're just wrong!

CharlesMcCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 17:03:34 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Today Amaya and I took a 3 hour round trip to meet the newest members of the
DeTomaso Club of Spain.

José Luís Cano bought a rusty Longchamp which he is restoring from top to
bottom – literally changing every bolt and screw along the way.

His brother Carlos bought an ex-US ’74 Pantera which was in much better
shape than his brother’s Longchamp, but he’s restoring it from top to bottom
as well just to be sure.

I thought that both cars would be attending the 2012 Le Mans Classic tour,
but considering their current state, and the fact that they are
perfectionists and are doing everything right, I think that Le Mans 2014 may
be a better bet.

Anyway, after an exceptional meal and kicking some tires (my GT5-S is only
the second Pantera they’ve ever seen in the flesh) we headed for home.

When I changed the speedo cable a few weeks ago, I changed the speedo bulb
from the stock 2w bulb to a 5w bulb that Mike Drew hand carried to me in
2000 or 2001 and I just haven’t seemed to find time to install (?!)

The difference was huge. It won’t blind you at night but the difference
between the speedo (which I changed) adn the tach (which I didn’t) was night
and day, almost literally.

Anyone who is squinting at their speedo at night wondering what their speed
it would do well to change the bulb to a 5w bulb. It really does make a
noticeable difference.

At this rate, I’ve only got another 11 years before I need to change the
tach light bulb!