[DeTomaso] How fast have you driven?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 16:06:38 EDT 2011

In a message dated 10/31/11 19 00 3, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> Yeah, very stable up to 160 then it creeps in, my car needs more rake for
> sure if top speed were the goal, then a front spoiler.

I hit 140 mph repeatedly on the Reno-Fernley track, until my distributor
gear ate my cam gear. :<(

With a bit of nose-down rake, and a GTS mini air dam, and Koni
shocks/springs from Pantera East, it felt absolutely rock-solid, not a hint of lift or
any untoward behavior.   I wouldn't consider super-high speeds in a Pantera
without some sort of air dam.   Besides, they look cool.   And besides that,
they're super-cheap.

Having said that, I have ridden as a passenger at 160-165 mph in a Euro GTS
(being chased by the police on I-89 in Vermont, back in the early 1990s,
cruising at 6000-6500 rpm in 5th for 12 miles).   It was missing the front air
dam, and riding on too-tall 265-50 (!) front tires, with matching 295-50
rears (130 mph-rated BF Goodrich Euro T/A).   With a level attitude caused by
the too-tall front tires, the car was perfectly stable, with no weaving or
apparent lightness.   Fortunately there was no wind that day...and even more
fortunately, the road was deserted and the cop car had to accelerate for two
miles uphill to even begin the chase, so we were long gone....