[DeTomaso] Balance Point for Engine/Transaxle Removal

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 15:48:02 EDT 2011

In a message dated 11/1/11 11 47 1, daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com writes:

> I've got the engine and transaxle ready to pull out of the white Pantera.
> I was thinking about bolting one end of the load leveler to the carb pad
> lift plate and then running a chain through the other end to the backs of
> both cylinder heads.  However, it looks like it would be simpler to not
> use the load leveler and simply bolt a chain from the back of one head to
> the other and lift in the middle.  Is the balance there close enough?

The balance point is roughly over the oil pressure sender at the back of
the block, when the gearbox is connected to the engine.

I'm about to go through this exercise myself.   What I do is remove the
carb, lay the load leveller on top of the intake pad, then make the chains as
short as possible to connect them to the front and rear of the cylinder
heads.   The balance point for level flight is about 2/3 of the way to the rear;
cranking further to the rear tilts the nose downwards.