[DeTomaso] non pantera content home improvement question

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Tue May 31 21:06:32 EDT 2011

Are the 4x4s pressure treated to begin with?  If yet, then I would consider
stain-sealing the side that might get exposed to sun or water.  If not, then
it depends.

Are the 4x4s ever exposed to water or sun?  If so, then dry out and paint
with an oil based paint.
Are the 4x4s showing signs of mold or dry rot?  If so, then paint with Kilz
then seal with oil based paint.

You certainly cannot go wrong with drying the wood out if it is wet and
painting it/staining it with a good sealing oil based product. It will
prevent or delay you from termite damage or rot if you get a slight water
leak that you may not notice until the damage is done.

My thoughts